This is the post excerpt. For some reason this one is “sticky” – so seems to show as first one no matter what … could be useful … just needs to be managed.
Halcyon Commons (Halcyon Court at Prince Street, Berkeley)
Light snacks courtesy of Whole Foods Market
Fresh coffee courtesy of Starbucks
For further info: HNACERT@gmail.com
This free event is open to the public and will take place on Saturday, August 26th from 10 am to 12:00 pm at Halcyon Commons park (Halcyon Court at Prince Street).
The motto for Disaster? Be Ready! is Applicability and Education. Attendees will leave the event having learned and practiced specific skills they can use to save the lives of loved ones, protect property, and help the community.
The event features a center stage with rotating 20- to 30-minute classes, staffed “information stations,” refreshments and, while supplies last, giveaways to lucky class participants of life-saving tools and equipment.
Here’s a sampling of classes and events:
* Off the Grid — Learn and practice the hows and whens of shutting off the gas. Show you’ve mastered the skill and get a free gas and water shut-off wrench while supplies last.
* Stop the Bleed! (30-minute class) — Learn how to stop traumatic, life-threatening bleeding with tourniquet and pressure pads. Taught by Shawn Connors, lead civilian instructor, Berkeley Fire Department. Lucky participants will receive a full trauma kit after every class while supplies last.
* Save Your Pet! (30-minute class) — Keep Your Pet Alive with hands-on CPR and First Aid Training. Taught by Peter Pay, Animal First Aid Instructor for the East Bay Municipal Park District and the Humane Society.
* Home Readiness + Disaster Planning — Learn how to make your own home emergency kit and create a family disaster action plan.
* Command Post — Learn more about the Halcyon Neighborhood Association’s Community Emergency Response Team: who we are, what we do, and how you can get involved.
Following the event, we’ll enjoy a very informal picnic in Halcyon Commons starting around 12:30 p.m. It should be fun and help build the most important disaster preparedness tool of all: community.
Disaster? Be Ready! is brought to you by the Halcyon Neighborhood Association Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). Our mission: Save lives, Meet neighbors, Build community. We’ll have a table and would love to meet you, and better yet, have you join us.
HNA CERT wishes to extend its special thanks to CBCB for their most generous support of the event and their donation of trauma kits and emergency gas and water shut-off wrenches.